Monday, 19 January 2015

Editing Day 1

We used a piece of software called Final Cut Pro to edit our film. This is a very high standard piece of software, and was even used to edit feature films such as 300 (2007) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009).

We began by quickly editing together all the footage we had, roughly matching match-on-actions together just so we had feel of the flow of the film. We went over the match-on-actions later on the increase the quality of the cuts and to make it more precise.

I did most of the video editing, as I have the most experience with it and rather enjoy it. Below, there is a screenshot of us editing scene 1, where Alice is seen at the bottom of the stairs.

Editing Scene 1

Whilst I threw together as much footage as fast as I could, Deanna scoured the internet for soundtracks. She also was very keen to add visual effects like last year to make the film black and white, but I tried to change her mind. We came to the conclusion that effects would be used, but the colour would remain. To do this, Deanna started looking through the effects, and eventually came up with two. The first, called Dreamy, adds a fuzzy look to the film, and the other, called Romantic, adds a less-obvious change, but a soft-edged effect that makes the scene softer. Together, these effects looked effective, and after Dan changed the preset exposure and colour corrections, it was even better. These effects would only exist over scene 2, however, as it is a flashback.

Whilst we edited the film together, Charlotte began on the ident construction and the revamped script. The old ident idea was impossible to create, so Charlotte compromised and came up with something equally as fiery.